What is HydroDiscectomy?
HydroDiscectomy is a minimally invasive, outpatient procedure that uses a high-speed water stream to remove herniated disc tissue, relieving the nerve pressure that causes back and leg pain.
What Are the Benefits of the SpineJet HydroDiscectomy Treatment?
- It’s an outpatient procedure that requires no hospitalization
- It offers fast recovery so you can return to work quickly
- There is less pain
- No bone is removed
- There is no trauma to your back muscles or surrounding tissue
- No general anesthesia is needed
- It’s a clinically proven procedure!
What can I expect from HydroDiscectomy? Before the Procedure
- Dr. Colon may perform x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT scan) to determine the location and severity of your herniated disc.
- You may need to avoid certain medications and herbal remedies before your procedure. Dr. Colon will advise you about what to avoid.
During the Procedure
- HydroDiscectomy is performed using a fluoroscope, a machine that projects live x-ray images onto a monitor. Dr. Colon uses these images as a guide for placing the SpineJet device within the spinal disc without making a large incision.
- The procedure is usually performed using a local anesthetic so you remain awake.
- Your physician will insert the SpineJet by dilating through the fibers of the disc wall.
- Once the device is in place, the water-jet works to quickly remove the herniated disc tissue.
- The entire procedure takes only 20 to 30 minutes.